Melatonin is an endogenous substance easily found in the body. It is conceptualized as a hormone, derived from serotonin, synthesized by the pineal gland during the night period. As a hormone, melatonin has several functions, such as immunomodulation, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antitumor, however its most compliant function is the control of the circadian rhythm, in addition to regularizing seasonality. Sleep is one of the primordial needs of the human being, after a period of physical and mental activities, it has a fundamental role to relax and re-establish the organism for a new cycle of activities. Thus, melatonin acts as a metabolism regulator influencing the quality of life, and its effectiveness in inducing sleep has led pharmaceutical companies to launch its synthetic version, widely sold as a supplement in some countries such as the United States and Europe. To analyze the importance of melatonin in the regulation of sleep, as well as to characterize its functions in the body that contribute to weight control. The work methodology consisted of a literature review, carried out through previously published research studies. Based on the literary subsidies that supported this research, it is concluded that the benefits achieved with the use of melatonin encompass the alignment of the sleep cycle and contribute to weight control, which may influence weight loss, as well as in other areas of the body.
- Gandolfi JV, Di Bernardo APA, Chanes DAV, Martin DF, Joles VB, Amendola CP, Sanches LC, Ciorlia GL, Lobo SM. The Effects of Melatonin Supplementation on Sleep Quality and Assessment of the Serum Melatonin in ICU Patients: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Crit Care Med. 2020 Dec;48(12):e1286-e1293. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0000000000004690. PMID: 33048904.
- Fatemeh G, Sajjad M, Niloufar R, Neda S, Leila S, Khadijeh M. Effect of melatonin supplementation on sleep quality: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Neurol. 2021 Jan 8. doi: 10.1007/s00415-020-10381-w. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33417003.
- Pacheco D, Izaola Jáuregui O, Primo Martín D, de Luis Román DA. A circadian rhythm-related MTNR1B genetic variant (rs10830963) modulates glucose metabolism and insulin resistance after body weight loss secondary to biliopancreatic diversion surgery. Nutr Hosp. 2020 Dec 16;37(6):1143-1149. English. doi: 10.20960/nh.03153. PMID: 33119394.
- Genario R, Cipolla-Neto J, Bueno AA, Santos HO. Melatonin supplementation in the management of obesity and obesity-associated disorders: A review of physiological mechanisms and clinical applications. Pharmacol Res. 2021 Jan;163:105254. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2020.105254. Epub 2020 Oct 17. PMID: 33080320.
- Behrendt D, Ganz P. Endothelial function: from biology to clinical applications. Am J Cardiol. 2002.
- Claustrat B, Brun J, Chazot G. The basic physiology and pathophysiology of melatonin. Sleep Med Rev. 2005, 9:11-24.
- Ozata M, Mergen M, Oktenli C, Aydin A, Yavuz Sanisoglu S, Bolu E, et al. Increased oxidative stress and hypozincemia in male obesity. 2002, Clin Biochem.
- Nahas MV. Atividade física, saúde e qualidade de vida: conceitos e sugestões para um estilo de vida ativo. 2003. 3ª edição. Londrina: Midiograf.
- Botella-Carretero JI, Alvarez-Blasco F, Villafruela JJ, Balsa JA, Vazquez C, Escobar-Morreale HF. Vitamin D defifi ciency is associated with the metabolic syndrome in morbid obesity. Clin Nutr. 2007.
- Ribot J, Felipe F, Bonet ML, Palou A. Changes of adiposity in response to vitamin a status correlate with changes of PPAR [gamma] 2 expression. Obesity. 2001; 500-509.
- Parkes E. Nutritional management of patients after bariatric surgery. Am J Med Sci. 2006; 4: 207-213.
- Silva VYNE, Pereira AMO, Kashiwabara TGB. Qualidade do sono e melatonina: relato de caso. Brazilian Journal of Surgery and Clinical Research, 2013,4, 1:32-36.
- Arendt J. Melatonin: characteristics, concerns, and prospects. J Biol Rhythms. 2005; v. 4, p. 291-303.
- Galano A, Dun T, Russel J. Melatonin as a natural ally against oxidative stress: a physicochemical examination. Journal of pineal research: 2011, 1-16
- Ferrara M, De Gennaro L. How much sleep do we need? Sleep Medicine, 2001, 5:155- 179.
- Poyares D, Tufik S. I Consenso Brasileiro de Insônia. Hypnos Journal of Clinical and Experimental Sleep Research, 2002, 4:1-45.
- Tribl G, Schmeiser-Rieder A, Rosenberger A, Saletu B, Bolitschek J, Kapfhammer G, Katschnig H, Holzinger B, Popovic R, Kunze M, Zeitlhofer J. Sleep habits in the Austrian population. Sleep Medicine, 2002, 3:21-28.
- Brzezinski A, Vangel MG, Wurtman RJ, Norrie G, Zhdanova I, Ben-Shushan A, Ford I Effects of exogenous melatonin on sleep: a meta-analysis. Sleep Med Rev. 2005; 9:41-50.
- Dahlke, Rudiger. O sono como caminho: dormir bem para viver bem. São Paulo: Cultrix, 2008.
- Fujioka K. Follow-up of nutritional and metabolic problems after bariatric surgery. Diabetes Care 2005; 28:481-484.
- Roth T, Stubbs C, Walsh JK. Ramelton (TAK-375), a selective MT1/MT2-receptor agonist, reduces latency to persistent sleep in a model of transient insomnia related to a novel sleep environment. Sleep. 2005, 28:303-307.
- Souza RC. Melatonina. Estudo Técnico, Consultoria Legislativa da Câmara dos Deputados, 2016.
- Pacheco, M. B. et al. Propriedades da melatonina como fator de neuroproteção em doenças neurodegenerativas. In: SAFETY, HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT WORLD CONGRESS, 13. 2013, Porto. Anais. Porto, 2013.
- Fusatto, E. L. Análise da influência da administração da melatonina no sistema cardiovascular e muscular de ratos desnervados. 2012. 60 f. Dissertação (Mestrado em Fisioterapia) - Faculdade de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Metodista de Piracicaba, Piracicaba, 2012.
- Wortsman J, Matsuoka LY, Chen TC, Lu Z, Holick MF. Decreased bioavailability of vitamin D in obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000; 72, 3:690-693.
- Shikora SA, Kim JJ, Tarnoff ME. Nutrition and gastrointestinal complications of bariatric surgery. Nutr Clin Pract. 2007; 22, 1: 29-40.